DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO VIEW THE VIDEO AND SHARE WITH OTHERS ??
Monday, September 17
TOPIC: TOWARDS PURITY IN MARRIAGE
TEXT: 1 Corinthians 7:1-5
1. Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.
3. Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5. Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
I Corinthians 7:1-5 NKJV
Paul in this first letter to the Corinthians said, “It is good for a man not to touch a woman” (v1). While acknowledging the grace that God gave to him to be self-controlled, and hence without a wife, he quickly pointed out that his was peculiar to him, and not a command that people should remain unmarried (1 Cor. 7:6-7). He advised every man to have his own wife and each woman her own husband, in the face of the ever present tendency to commit sexual immorality. He also admonished couples to render to each other their marital rights without one defrauding the other as doing such could be an open invitation to sexual sin which is a prime tool in the hands of the devil to destroy marriages. If there must be abstinence, both parties must give their consent and it should be for a genuine reason of prayer (v5). Unfaithfulness to our partners is unfaithfulness to God.
The Bible warns us to flee immorality which is a sin against one’s own body (1Cor. 6:18), unlike every other sin. We are to put to death whatever belongs to our earthly nature because they attract God’s wrath (Col. 3:5-6). We all need self-control to keep our marriages pure.
Are you faithful to your spouse?
Prayer: Lord, help me to be faithful.